Toy Review: DC Universe Classics Shazam! by Mattel

I've had a hard time finding these DC Universe figures in the stores. I eventually had to order wave 6 online. I normally don't bother collecting toys that are this hard to find... but with Captain Marvel in this wave, I can't pass it up. The last Captain Marvel figure I bought was a debacle. How does this one hold up?



Stats

Company: Mattel
Size: 6" scale
Price: $12.50 at CornerstoreComics
Packaging: Carded


Looks: 3/5
I'm not sure why, but the prototypes for the DC Universe Classics figures always look so much better than the production figures. This Captain Marvel (called Shazam) is no exception. The sculpt captures Captain Marvel's personality well, it's just not as sharp as the prototype. The paint apps are hit and miss. There's some dark red spray on the costume to denote volume, which is cool. But the eyes and the eyebrows are poorly done. And the pegs in the ankle hinges aren't sprayed like the rest of the boot, which is very distracting. And there's some sloppiness in the paint on the cape. And the paint on the lightning bolt isn't continued in the chest hinge, so if you puff out Marvel's chest, there's a break in the bolt.

The figure's not horrible, and there's enough good things about the sculpt and paint to keep it from tanking completely. But it could certainly be better.


Articulation: 4/5
The figure has plenty of great articulation: ball-in-socket neck, ball shoulders, swivel upper arms, hinge elbows, swivel wrists, hinge chest, swivel waist, swivel/hinge hips, swivel thighs, hinge knees, and hinge ankles. He moves well and is able to perform a variety of cool poses.

Accessories: 0/5
Captain Marvel only comes with the right leg of Kalibak. If you buy all the figures in this wave, bump up the score to 4/5. Build-a-figures are admittedly pretty awesome... but only if you have enough dough to buy an entire wave. Since I don't, I'm left with nothing but a weird random leg, so I have to give him a bagel. Although Captain Marvel doesn't regularly have any weapons that he uses in the comics, something else (like a stand) would have been nice.

Maybe I could pretend that, in a rage, Captain Marvel ripped Kalibak's leg out of his socket. That's pretty much all I can do with it. :/

Value: 3/5
$12.50 is pretty common for figures of this size. But Marvel takes a hit because he comes with no accessories (other than a disembodied leg, of course). I think it might be as cheap as $10 in the retail stores, though.


Coolness: 4/5
Captain Marvel is one of my favorite superheroes. My fandom mainly stems from Kingdom Come in which he was a great counter to Superman. I'm not sure if he's been in anything else that was cool (besides Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, if you count that), but regardless I think he's a colorful, fun, and classic character. This figure, despite its flaws, captures a lot of what makes Captain Marvel cool.

Overall: 3/5
I still have yet to find a truly great Captain Marvel figure. This figure is light years beyond the Infinite Heroes Captain Marvel, but that's not saying much. It has a cool enough sculpt and style to make me like it so it's a welcome addition to my collection. But the Big Red Cheese deserves better.

DISCLAIMER: All items reviewed on Dork Dimension were purchased by the reviewer unless otherwise noted. The opinions expressed on Dork Dimension are solely those of the author and are presented for entertainment purposes only.