Toy Review: DC Universe The Flash

I think many would agree that the DC Universe line is the most frustrating toy line to collect. It's difficult, if not impossible, to find these figures in the stores, so I've started ordering them online. But the quality control is all over the place, so there's no way to tell if I'm going to get a nubs figure. I would just throw up my hands in disgust and give up on the line, but I love my DC superheroes, and the DC Universe line is probably the coolest superhero figure line on the market. So I'll eat the frustration... for now.


I'm a bit delayed in getting Flash since I bundled him up in an order that also included Hawkgirl and Dr. Fate (reviews for which will be coming this weekend). But better late than never!


Stats:
Company: Mattel
Size: 7"
Price: $13 (from Corner Store Comics)
Packaging: Carded


Looks:
The figure captures the look of the Flash pretty well. The sculpt is pretty good, just like all the other DC Universe figures. But that's the problem: it's just like all the other figures. It either reuses parts from other figures, or the sculpt is just very similar to those of other figures in the line. Either way, the sculpt doesn't really differentiate itself all that much.

The paint apps are okay, for a mass-production figure. The lightning effects are pretty clean (for the most part), as is the chest symbol. The flesh paint is somewhat sloppy, though. And the paint around one of the calf lightning bolts is weird. But there's a bit of spray on the muscles to give them depth, which looks great.

Articulation:
If you collect DC Universe figures, you'll be familiar with the standard articulation: ball-socket neck, ball-hinge shoulders, swivel forearms, hinge elbows, swivel wrists, hinge chest, swivel-hinge hips, swivel things, hinge knees, and hinge ankles. Since the Flash doesn't have any restricting costume details, the figure moves really well.


Accessories:
Fortunately, instead of a build-a-figure part (that is absolutely worthless to anyone who doesn't collect the entire wave), Flash actually comes with a stand! The stand is pretty nice, but the figure is still a bit lacking in terms of accessories. What about Flash's Cosmic Treadmill time machine? That would have been an awesome accessory!


Value:
The price tag ($13) isn't bad, and you do get a decent-quality figure for your money. At least, that's what I got this time... I'm not sure if Mattel has improved its quality control or if I just got lucky. Regardless, more accessories would have bumped up its value further.


Coolness:
The Flash is one of the coolest superheroes. He isn't in my top five, but he would certainly be in my top ten. I love the dynamic colors on his costume and the simple, but effective, lightning detailing. And this figure captures the essence of the character pretty well.


Overall:
This is a good Flash figure, but the sculpts of these Mattel DC superheroes are so similar that I feel like I'm buying the same figure over and over again. Maybe some decent character-specific accessories would have helped to differentiate the figure. Still, it does its job adequately enough, and it looks great in my ever-growing Justice League display.

DISCLAIMER: All items reviewed on Dork Dimension were purchased by the reviewer unless otherwise noted. The opinions expressed on Dork Dimension are solely those of the author and are presented for entertainment purposes only.