Fan Art: Clear Red Pheyden Infection Card + Wallpaper


This illustration of a clear red Pheyden trading card was intended for TGB's Arthrogod/Glyos Infection Wave. I wanted to play up the robotic aspects of the Pheyden suit in the card, so I thought that "filling-in" the "in-between" spaces would really bring the illustration to life.

When I illustrate a toy, I like to reconcile the design of the character with how the character moves... which often means that I need to resolve the "in-between" areas where the joints are expected to allow movement. For example, for Pheyden's right hand, I determined what joints would be required for a robotic hand, what those joints would look like, how they would move, how the wrist would allow movement, etc. I've found that when I really think about how a toy would work if it was real, then the illustration becomes so much stronger.

The figure is cast in clear plastic, so I studied clear plastic figures to determine how best to depict the effect. I found that clear figures tend to be more opaque near the outlines of the sculpt, so I outlined the illustration's lines with bright red to represent the clear plastic effect. I think it works pretty well... it kind of makes him look like he's made out of gummy candy. Yum!

Since the card ended up being cut to reduce costs, I thought I'd post some wallpapers that you can download based on the illustration. Enjoy!

1024 x 768


1280 x 800


1600 x 900


Twitter: Be sure to set your background color to black (Design > Change design colors > Background) and deactivate the tile background checkbox

DISCLAIMER: All items reviewed on Dork Dimension were purchased by the reviewer unless otherwise noted. The opinions expressed on Dork Dimension are solely those of the author and are presented for entertainment purposes only.