Toy Review: Green Man (Green Lantern Movie Masters)


I was planning on skipping the 6-inch scaled Green Lantern Movie Masters line. All the brouhaha that constantly surrounds DC Universe Classics and Masters of the Universe Classics has nearly killed that scale for me. I just knew some shenanigans would be pulled that would make me regret even starting to collect the line. Maybe there would be quality control problems. Maybe some figures would be impossible to find. Maybe a super-cool Lantern would be a build-a-figure and I'd have to buy figures I didn't want just to get all the parts. It would be best to not bother with the line at all. Still, the Movie Master Lanterns look awesome in all their shiny greenness, and when I saw Green Man on MattyCollector.com, I just couldn't resist. I dismissed my previous hesitation as needlessly pessimistic paranoia. Surely this line wouldn't follow the trends set by DCUC and MOTUC that made them so frustrating to collect, right?

But I should have stuck with my gut. After I bought Green Man, I discovered that Movie Masters Kilowog would be a SDCC exclusive, later available on MattyCollector.com. That's right, the alien Green Lantern with the biggest fan base is a limited edition exclusive. I'm not sure who dropped that ball, whether Mattel wanted the figure as an exclusive not available to retailers, or the retailers didn't want to order larger-scaled figures, but the damage is done. Not only does that exclusivity make the MM Kilowog unnecessarily difficult to buy, but the SDCC fans might snatch up all the figures before I even have a chance to order. And a Green Lantern Corps collection without Kilowog is totally worthless. This brand of crap is why I've pretty much given up on lines like DCUC and MOTUC.

So, I'm waiting on going all-in on the Movie Masters line until I have a Kilowog in-hand. But Green Man is here, so let's see how he holds up.

Stats


Company: Mattel
Size: 7 1/2"
Price: $25 at MattyCollector.com
Packaging: Boxed

Appearance


Although the figure's veracity to the movie will remain unknown until I actually see the character on screen, it looks like it conforms to the character design we see on the back of the 4" Green Man card. The figure sports a great sculpt, with lots of amphibious skin texture and an interesting frog-like anatomy. The paint apps are similarly awesome. They're nice and sharp where they need to be, like around the eyes, and feature spotty skin detailing to further nail down the frog essence of the character. Not to mention the impressive green sheen of the figure's Green Lantern suit. This dude will certainly pop on my display shelf.

Articulation


Green Man includes 14 points of articulation:
  • Swivel neck
  • Swivel shoulders
  • Swivel-hinge elbows
  • Swivel-hinge wrists
  • Ball-socket chest (at least, it appears to be ball-socket)
  • Swivel-hinge hips 
  • Swivel-hinge knees
  • Swivel-hinge ankles

That's a nice array of articulation points, but the design of the figure and the abstract nature of the character conspire against Green Man's freedom of movement. The elbows and hips are hindered by the sculpt around the joints, the neck barely moves at all, and the design of the legs make dynamic poses difficult to pull off. Also, I would have preferred swivel-hinge shoulders. But for such a weird alien, Mattel did a nice job of including a good amount of articulation that didn't sacrifice the figure's looks.

Accessories

This ring doesn't count; it's just sculpted on.

Green Man comes with no accessories at all. Not a Green Lantern Power Battery, not a cool construct, not even a build-a-figure part that would have inevitably ended up in my junk drawer. Nothing.

Value

Green Man teaches Green Lad the ways of the world.

Green Man cost a whopping $25 on MattyCollector.com. That's a good 5 bucks more expensive than the already-overpriced MOTUC line. Green Man is larger than the standard MOTUC figure, but not by much, and lacks accessories. Also, the torso is constructed of a hard, hollow plastic that makes the figure seem unsubstantial. I know people are complaining about the price of the 4" figures, but at least they're solid and come with awesome accessories. Movie Masters Green Man is a tough sell at this price range.

Coolness


This figure scores a lot of points for the coolness of its design. Green Man as seen in the comics is more humanoid, but I like the direction the movie is going, transforming the character into an oversized alien frog.

Unfortunately, a big hit to the figure's coolness is its inability to interact with the constructs that come with the 4" figures. Although DCUC figures easily use the constructs, either with the Kilowog/Hannu "energy blast adapters" or without, Green Man is obviously not designed with this interoperability in mind. The "human-sized" constructs (Hal Jordan, Sinestro, etc) are too small and the "alien-sized" constructs (Isamot Kol, Green Man) are too large to fit on Green Man's finger.  You can mash the Kilowog/Hannu "energy blast adapter" onto the MM Green Man's right hand by forcing it over two fingers, but it just doesn't work like it should. That's pretty disappointing; I was hoping the constructs would be more universal.

Overall

Green Man's incredible sculpt and gleaming paint apps make the figure a stand-out on the shelf. But the lack of accessories and exorbitant price tag drag down the overall score to make the figure nothing more than an average purchase. Green Man is impressive enough to make me want to buy more from the Movie Masters line, but not enough for me to throw caution to the wind and start buying before I know for sure that I can get a Kilowog.

Although the Movie Masters line unquestionably looks better than the 4" line, I still prefer the 4" line. There's just something to be said for action figures that are toys first and collectibles second.

DISCLAIMER: All items reviewed on Dork Dimension were purchased by the reviewer unless otherwise noted. The opinions expressed on Dork Dimension are solely those of the author and are presented for entertainment purposes only.