Toy Review: Masters of the Universe Classics Stinkor


After about 3 and a half years of collecting Masters of the Universe Classics, I've accumulated upgrades of most of my favorite He-Man figures... with the exception of Stinkor. Since I'm only concerned about getting figures that meant something to me as a kid, I decided that Stinkor would be my final foray into the MOTUC line. As such, he'd better be awesome. But many figures that I thought would be awesome have been disappointingly lackluster: Clawful, Grizzlor, and Scareglow, in particular. So does my MOTUC collecting go out with a bang or a whimper with Stinkor?


The vintage Stinkor was infamous in the 80's for his "action feature", namely his stench. The odor was somewhat pungent but not horrible; I liken it to a coworker who tends to put on a little too much perfume. I was expecting MOTUC Stinkor's smell to kick you in the face when you open the card, much like his smelly MOTUC counterpart, Moss Man. Unfortunately, the smell is much more subtle. Some might prefer that, but I'd like my Stinkor to really live up to his name.



Unlike his stench, Stinkor's look makes him a standout. There are a lot of reused parts here: the body, upper arms and upper legs all come from Beastman; the hands, shins and feet are from Skeletor; and one of the heads is from Mer-Man. But it's the coloration that makes the figure dynamic and distinctive. The stark white on black fur along with the complementary orange/blue armor and weapons make the figure look fantastic.

One thing that's getting fanboys all in a tizzy is the fact that Mattel swapped the forearms so that the fins on Stinkor's gloves extend backward instead of outward like Mer-Man's. Mattel claims the swap was intentional to add some visual differentiation to a figure that has so many reused parts. Whether intentional or a mistake, the swap doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I agree with Mattel that it makes the figure look more distinct. It also seems more accurate to the vintage figure.



I was always disappointed by the lack of accessories for the vintage Stinkor, which only came with a shield. With no offensive weapons (besides his stink, I suppose), Stinkor was a sitting duck in battle. But not only does MOTUC Stinkor come with a stink-rifle to go with his shield, he also comes with a good deal of great accessories straight from the 200X line: gas mask, stink-tank, stink-meter, armor, and alternate head. The 200X-inspired accessories give you two figures in one: you can display Stinkor either as his vintage or his 200X stinky self. I actually prefer the 200X features, which make him look like the perfect blend of the classic figure and the hyper-detailed NECA Staction figure.

The articulation is pretty much standard MOTUC fare: ball neck, swivel-hinge shoulders, swivel biceps, hinge elbows, swivel wrists, hinge chest, swivel waist, swivel-hinge hips, hinge knees, swivel shins, and hinge ankles. The armor does a good job of staying out of the way of the the chest articulation.



Mattel recently raised the base price of MOTUC figures from $20 to $22, citing increasing production costs as the reason. But why this figure cost $22 while the comparatively gargantuan Marvel Select Avengers Hulk cost $2 less is beyond me. It can't be licensing costs, since Mattel owns MOTU. It can't be new molds, since the only new parts are the furry neck, maybe the forearms, the 200X head, and a few accessories. I'm not sure what it is, but it's clear that this shouldn't be a $22 figure. My wallet's certainly glad that this is my last MOTUC toy.

But MOTUC did end up going out in style for me. Mattel took an awesome vintage design and played up on that coolness with influences from the 200X line to make a figure that is arguably the most distinctive and fun in the MOTUC line. I wish he stank more and I wish that $22 price tag wasn't so painful, but otherwise this is about as perfect as a figure gets.



Pics





DISCLAIMER: All items reviewed on Dork Dimension were purchased by the reviewer unless otherwise noted. The opinions expressed on Dork Dimension are solely those of the author and are presented for entertainment purposes only.