Dork Dimension: Year 6


For six whole years we’ve been kicking it on the Dork Dimension! That’s a pretty long time in Internet land, where stuff gets picked up and dropped as quickly as you might pick up a Star Wars Black figure at Toys R Us then put it right back as soon as you realize it's Greedo. It doesn’t seem like 2008 was that long ago, but a lot has changed in those six years.

For one thing, the blog format seems to have lost the prominence it enjoyed in the 2000s. You might have noticed some fan favorite blogs have recently shut their doors, like PoeGhostal and Lair of the Dork Horde. Author fatigue takes its toll after a while, but it also seems like other forms of social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and others I’m just not hip enough to know about) are leeching bloggers away. I can understand why: I find blogging to be difficult and time consuming, and there’s very little interaction with my audience so I often feel like I’m talking to The Void. But I’ve just started Instagramming and it’s the complete opposite: it’s easy to update and create cool pictures, and I can instantly share them with a lot of people who give me plenty of feedback, whether it's a comment, a follow, or just a "like". Frankly, it’s very fulfilling.

That said, I just can’t see me giving up blogging completely. Although Instagram has its appeal, a blog is a totally different animal. You just can’t create any sort of substantial content, like the Star Trek action figure tributes, on that type of social media. And the Dork Dimension is much more visible to search engines, so it can better serve as a resource for people looking for information about stuff. Besides, I need a “home base” on the ‘Net for my projects.

So what I’m saying is that the Dork Dimension is staying where it is, and it’s not going to be abandoned like some shopping mall relic. But Instagram is eating up a lot of my action figure photography spirit, so I probably won’t update as frequently as I have in the past. The current plan is to update at least once or twice a month, and I think I can stick to that.

Let’s move on to the year in review!

Top 10 Articles

Here are the top ten most popular articles for Year 6 (by pageviews):

10) Toy Review: Papo Tyrannosaurus Rex - 1,708
9) Toy Review: Enterprise 2271 Refit and Enterprise D (Eaglemoss) - 1,744
8) Toy Tribute: Toxic Crusaders by Playmates - 2,439
7) Toy Tribute: Animated Batman Evolution - 2,538
6) Toy Review: Schleich Allosaurus vs. Papo Allosaurus - 3,385
5) Toy Review: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2012 (Playmates) - 3,554
4) Toy Pix: Jabba the Hutt (Hasbro, 2004) - 3,645
3) Chris’ Toy Collection - 4,011
2) Review: DC Chara-Covers Batman iPhone Case - 5,090
1) Toy Review: USS Excelsior, USS Kelvin, USS Vengeance, 2013 Bird of Prey (Hot Wheels Star Trek) - 5,437

I admit I’m pleased to see that Star Trek is taking a more prominent place in the hit counts, with a Trek review taking the top spot this year!

Top 10 Referring Sites

Thanks again to everyone who has linked to the Dork Dimension! Here are the top 10 sites that have sent the most traffic my way this year:

10) Nathan’s MUSCLE Blog! (Thanks to myself, I guess.)
9) Mini-Figures XD
8) The Godbeast Customs
7) The Trek Collective
6) Doom Kick
5) Infinite Hollywood
4) Poe Ghostal
3) Leftover Culture Review
2) Onell Design
1) Battlegrip.com

Year 7!

As Year 6 draws to a close, what can we expect for the next year? This year was a great one for movie toys with Godzilla, Ninja Turtles, and Guardians of the Galaxy all churning out some really cool merchandise. I think the best candidates for cool toys next year will be Avengers: Age of Ultron and Jurassic World. (Of course, Star Wars: Episode 7 will be a toy juggernaut, but unless the toys are released before this time next year, they won’t technically be part of Dork Dimension Year 7.) I suspect I’ll get more building brick toys like Lego and Kre-o, and I'll probably pick up a few more Godzilla and Ninja Turtles toys as they’re released. And the Glyos-driven indy toy market just seems to be getting more and more interesting with every new release and partnership. So stay tuned!

Feeling nostalgic? Hop in the DeLorean and revisit Dork Dimension anniversaries of yesteryear!

DISCLAIMER: All items reviewed on Dork Dimension were purchased by the reviewer unless otherwise noted. The opinions expressed on Dork Dimension are solely those of the author and are presented for entertainment purposes only.